YOUTH PROGRAM SUMMARY
The regular season for Hillsborough Youth Lacrosse (HYL) typically runs from the first weekend in March through the first weekend in June.
All 1st through 8th grade teams will practice twice each week. The 1st and 2nd grade team is structured in a lacrosse clinic format and primarily focus on skill development. All other grades continue to develop individual player skills, but also begin team development through age and skill-level appropriate drills.
- Saturday and Sunday practices are outdoors and will be weather dependent. Practice times may be shortened with colder temperatures. Please ensure your son is appropriately dressed for the weather conditions.
- April and May
The 1st and 2nd grade teams will have opportunities to play games against local opponents. The team configurations (eg 7v7, 9v9) will be determined based on the composition of the local opponent’s team since this may vary from year to year.
The 3rd through 8th grade teams play games primarily on Saturday and/or Sunday although there may be games during the week on occasion. There can be preseason scrimmages on weekends in March. The schedule includes a few away tournaments which are typically within 50 minutes of Hillsborough.
- Grades 1-2
- All Parents will need to supply a stick, protective cup, lacrosse gloves, elbow pads, cleats and mouthguard.
- HYL program will lend each player a helmet, chest/shoulder pads, and provide uniforms. These items will be collected at the end of the season.
- Numbered lacrosse pinnies will be used for uniforms and are lent out by HYL.
- Grades 3-8
- All 3rd graders, new players in grades 4-8, and those athletes that have outgrown their uniform from the previous year, will need to go to Universal Lacrosse in Somerville (908) 526-0584 to be sized for their uniform in February.
- To order your replacement uniform please go to the HYL team store (managed by universal lacrosse).
- The HYL program will provide a practice pinnie if they do not already have one from a prior season.
- Parents will need to provide all other lacrosse equipment: helmet, chest/shoulder pads, gloves, arm pads, legal lacrosse stick, cleats, protective cup, mouthguard, membership with US Lacrosse and uniform.
In addition, HYL provides the fields, officials, and all league/tournament fees.
$200 program fee for players in grades 3 through 8
$150 program fee for players in grades 1 through 2
$50 family discount is applied for the second and subsequent players in grades 3 through 8
$30 US Lacrosse membership is required
Annual Work Bond Process:
Hillsborough Youth Lacrosse requires a $200 refundable work bond deposit per family. At the end of the season, all families that have completed the required volunteer hours (2 sessions per family totaling 4 hours) will have their workbonds refunded. Having all families opt in and actively volunteer is preferable, but it is also possible to immediately opt out of volunteering and forfeit the workbond. This allows us to deploy those funds against the required work. Running Hillsborough Youth Lacrosse and hosting two tournaments each season requires a tremendous amount of work by both our volunteer board and the volunteer parents. Given that, all volunteer hours are very closely logged by the Hillsborough Youth Lacrosse Board to ensure workbonds refunds/forfeitures are appropriately accounted for.